Do you know what a painter and a marksman have in common? Details

1. My hometown had a loving community, a well funded school, and a brand new playground for me and all my friends to play on.
  2. Laci’s pink pigtails and neon green knee socks defiantly drew the attention of the room to her.
  3. Mr. Brown’s monotone voice and incomprehensible explanation of even the simplest things had me pulling my hair out.
  4. The drab gray walls and linoleum floors lit only by a green blue hew of the florescent lights gave a feeling of dread to whoever walked in.

Scene:

Even in this war torn Saint Lo, Andrew and his squamates had found shelter for nightfall. A single cramped hallway severed as their sleeping quarters because it didn’t have any exposed holes to the outside from artillery or night raids. The walls shook with every rumble and explosion outside and covered the team in powdered dry wall and wall paper. They took shifts for sleeping so they were not left defenseless. Andrew volunteered for first shift along with Amy and Danny. Amy took the radio to the far corner of the hallway and wound up the battered machine. She ducked her head low  and talked in a hushed tone as to not wake the others so Andrew couldn’t make out what she was saying. He turned to Danny to see him gazing out into the street. The silhouettes of the buildings were sharp against the night sky lit up by spotlights and seemingly thousands of tracer rounds being fired at any aircraft in the sky. Andrew himself slumped against the wall and sighed a tired and battered sigh, he only wished this war was won and he could go home again.